Built in 1849, the Ard Godfrey house is the oldest remaining frame residence in Minneapolis. Located in the St. Anthony Falls historic Milling District, the house has been impeccably restored and is filled with furnishings and household items authentic to the period 1849 to 1853.
The house is open to the public on weekends during June, July and August. Come and learn the dandelion story, see the Godfrey children's walnut cradle, and admire the Chickering rosewood piano. Volunteers in 1850s period costume provide tours.
The Ard Godfrey House is located on Richard Chute Square at University Avenue and Central Avenue S.E, just across the 3rd Avenue bridge from downtown Minneapolis.
Year-Round Group Tours
Special tours for groups of ten or more may be arranged for a minimal fee year round by calling 612-781-8791, or by contacting The Woman's Club of Minneapolis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-813-5300.
The Ard Godfrey house is open Saturdays and Sundays during June, July and August from 1:00-4:00 pm. (Last complete tour at 3:30 pm.)
- Admission is free; donations are welcome.
- For where to park and how to find the Godfrey house, check the helpful map.
- The house is wheelchair accessible on the main floor only.
- No restroom facilities on site.
- Picnic tables are available in Richard Chute Square.
- Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board owns the house which is located in a city park.
- The renovation and operation of the house has been a volunteer project of The Woman's Club of Minneapolis since 1976.
- For more information, to volunteer, or to make a contribution, call 612-813-5300.